Monday, March 19, 2012

Lyle


The unthinkable has happened. I am a dog owner.

Firstly, let me explain my position on dogs. I am not a "dog person." Ok fine, I'm not an "animal person" in general. It's not that I don't like dogs, they just aren't for me. I only see the negatives of owning a pet and don't understand the positives.

FAQs:

Did you have a dog growing up?
  • Yes. A border collie named Maggie. I felt the same way about her, though it took me a long time to admit it. A lot of people are eager to hate on you if you claim to not like dogs.

Have you ever found a dog that you've liked?
  • No.

What would your ideal dog be?
  • Small, doesn't bark, doesn't lick, doesn't require attention, doesn't shed, doesn't expect me to pet him, can take care of himself.

So why the heck did you get a dog?
  • Because I love my husband, and my husband loves dogs.


I know, I sound awful. It's not that I don't have a heart. I like going to the zoo. I like watching funny pets from afar. I like shows about animals. I don't want to see any harm come to any pets. I just don't want to own one... which brings me back to the original point of this post...


Meet Lyle. A 1yo boston terrier from the local Human Society. I'm pretty ok with him. He was abused and neglected in his former life and thus he is incredibly fearful. He is scared to death of anything and cowers in fear with any new noise, person, or interaction. I feel so sorry for the guy. (Remember, I said I had a heart.)

We got him 4 days ago and he has yet to bark. So that's great with me. He also keeps to himself as he's too scared to venture out to do anything in our house. Again, this works well for me. My husband takes care of everything Lyle needs. So, so far so good between me and Lyle.

He's a completely different dog in the yard. He'll frolic like a little deer or lamb. It's pretty hilarious. I'll try to post a video soon.

2 comments:

  1. Your puppy is sooo cute!! You will love your rescue dog. My last 2 have been rescues and it is amazing to see them come out of their shells and begin to trust people again. Plus it gives you good stories for work. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's sorta too late to say so but your ideal dog sounds like a cat.

    ReplyDelete