Sunday, April 15, 2012

Funny story... we got another dog





On Tuesday, April 10th all of the following happened:

  • Hell froze over
  • Pigs sprouted wings
  • We got another dog.

That’s right. If you’re keeping count that means that we now have TWO dogs. In case you forgot about my last post, let me remind you that I’m not a “dog person”… and that’s putting it lightly.

A few weeks ago we got Lyle from the pound. So far it hasn’t been the nightmare I’d imagined. He kept to himself, didn’t bark, didn’t seek any attention at all, and slept all day long. Lyle was actually pretty close to my dream dog... virtually non-existent. Unlike me, Steven was worried about the mental well-being of Lyle. He began to research. Turns out dogs can be depressed, especially if they are used to being around other dogs and are suddenly by themselves.

The Phone Call: Tuesday, April 10th, 3:15pm

Hey babe, what's going on?

OK, I know I'd mentioned it before in passing but I was wondering what you thought about adopting Lyle's brother, he's still at the shelter.

I knew it! I knew you were buttering me up for this! I knew this was coming with your, "Oh, poor Lyle, he's sad." and "Poor Lyle, I bet he misses his brother."

Well I did some research and I think he's depressed. I think he needs his brother.

Whine... complain... whine... I don't wanna... etc. Wait, you want to get him today, don't you???

Well... yea... I mean I was kinda thinking that...

Fine. I'm never going to be excited or happy about this and it's important to you so I guess I'll say yes.

Thanks babe! I'll even let you name him! You could even name him Hanson if you wanted! Or Zac, or Taylor or...

Isaac. The third one is Isaac. Holy cow, you must really want this dog if you are willing to let me name him Hanson. I'll think of some names let you know.

And that's how dog #2 came to be. Did you see what Steven did there??? He went for the mental health/family bond approach. So smooth. Have I mentioned I'm a family therapist????

After a little thinking I decided to name dog #2 Chipper- after Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves. It's Chipper's last season, he hit a homerun the night we got the dog, and the Braves won the game. It's a good omen. And it comes with great nickname potential like "The Chip Clip"


Steven said their reunion nearly brought tears to his eyes. Lyle plays all day now rather than sleeping. And by "plays" I mean he pins Chip to the ground by the throat while Chip yelps helplessly. Turns out Lyle's a bully. We also bought Chip his own bed. Lyle took over Chip's new bed. Again, bully. Apparently I need to do some family therapy with these two.

1 comment:

  1. Those are quite possibly the cutest little pups I have ever seen! I'll pray they win your heart over... but I'll let you in on something... I think it's already started! See you in a few months. Wish the pups could come on vacation with us...LOL

    ReplyDelete